Friday, December 14, 2012

The Hobbit, Writing and Christmas....

Yesterday I went to see Peter Jackson's The Hobbit and, well, fell in love...with Thorin. If one man could make Tolkien's dwarves sexy it would be Richard Armitage....But aside from that I loved being back in that world.


I first read The Hobbit when I was thirteen. My English teacher Miss Walsh recommended it to me...I loved it. I loved the runes and the magic. I loved the elves. I introduced my children much sooner to it...and the boys are totally absorbed into the world but for different reasons, but that is part of the magic. The Hobbit and The Lord of Rings...offer so many thing for so many people....

To link this all together, I have begun writing again - a long story story or maybe a novella, A Cornish Carol. It's an idea that has been whizzing around in my head for a while. I took pen, yes pen, to paper and began this week and I now know that my hero looks just like Richard Armitage not as Thorin though. I will have to do a tremendous amount of research....I may be gone a while...

Christmas is almost upon us and I am woefully unprepared this year, but I am confident that it will all happen. I long to arrive in Cornwall and begin the process of making it happen but not yet...London still holds me while I tie up lose ends here...

Are you ready for Christmas?

4 comments:

Sue Guiney said...

I am soooo ready for Xmas. This year, for some reason, I'm more into it than I've been in a long time. And I hope to see The Hobbit this weekend. for 3 years going to see the latest Ring movie was one of our family rituals. It will be just us and no kids this time, but still.....
So glad you're writing the Cornish Christmas Carol. Incredible marketability aside :-) it's great that you're inspired!!

Unknown said...

Sue - i love how stories can bond families...I saw Hobbit with DS2 but already planned to see again with DS1 and maybe DD but she hasn't totally joined this band wagon!

It's so fun to begin a new story!

lx

Unknown said...

I'm slowly getting ready for Christmas and finally put up my tree yesterday.

I haven't seen The Hobbit and am looking firward to seeing Richard Armitage as Thorin. Sigh.

Hope you get to Cornwall soon and have a wonderful Christmas.x

Flowerpot said...

I haven't seen the Hobbit yet but it's on my list and love the idea of the Christmas Carol. Enjoy your time Liz and see you next year maybe!