Monday, May 07, 2012

Kate Lord Brown - One Thing I've Learnt

ONE THING I’VE LEARNT is the truth in Ionesco’s statement that: 'A writer never has a vacation. For a writer, life consists of either writing or thinking about writing.' If you haven’t played around with http://www.wordle.net/ and made a word cloud of your blog or website, it’s an interesting way to see the topics and themes that you are thinking, and writing about. Why not try making a cloud yourself and see if any words or themes strike a chord with you? The titles of my books jump out to me: Beauty Chorus, Perfume Garden. But also: heart, life, family. I’ve always liked Stephen King’s advice that art is a support system for life – not the other way around. For me, they go hand in hand. That’s what I’ve learnt in the fifteen years I’ve been writing seriously – writing is not a hobby, or a job, it’s a way of life.  


www.katelordbrown.com

7 comments:

Rebecca Leith said...

Very true. Sometimes I even dream about my characters, which has sometimes solved a problem I've come up against.
And I'm definitely off to make my own cloud of words. Thank you for flagging that up.

Unknown said...

I dream about my characters to and sometimes have conversations with them when I'm when I'm walking...hopefully no one is looking!

lx

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

So true Kate.

Thank you for reminding me about Wordles, I haven't done one for my most recent wip and will now have to do so.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

So true Kate.

Thank you for reminding me about Wordles, I haven't done one for my most recent wip and will now have to do so.

Victoria Connelly said...

Such wise words! I'm a writer and my husband is an artist and we're always 'working' although it doesn't feel like work. Our art is who we are and we love it : )

Anonymous said...

And the best thing about that, Kate, is that I wouldn't want one..! Being a poet means the scenery and emotional fragrance are constantly changing.

This is a lovely way of building up to your launch, Liz.. very much looking forward to seeing you there next week!

Unknown said...

Debs - I haven't tried a wordle yet... will soon.

So true Victoria :-)

Thanks Becky! I'm really enjoying all the posts. See you next week.

lx