Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Christine Moriarty - One Things I've Learnt


One of the things I learned is …the importance of the contrast of the old and the new. 
Be open to:      New Ideas
 New Friendships
 New Experiences

Life is full and passing judgment without being open, keeps your world small and leads  to an unfulfilling life. 

Humans are drawn to the newness – it refreshes our soul and keeps life interesting. 
With each new experience and exposure to new ideas we are enriched with knowledge and wisdom - valuable tools on our journey. However the brilliance of the new need never outshine the old.

We need comfort to relax.  Contentment is also good for the soul.
Our long term friends may not cross our lives everyday – or even every year.  Yet, in those bonding experiences of childhood, college or growing up, we resonated with them because of the new experiences and ideas. Remember them on your journey now.  Nothing can be as comfortable as a deep reconnection – No matter how fleeting. Nor can any experience offer such perspective.

The Girl Scout in me who learned the song “Make new friends and keep the old.  One is silver and the other is gold.”  I have found this time honored advice.

Be open to the new 
Save time to treasure the old.
Looking back, knowing far you have come while appreciating where you are going is the touchstone of a fulfilled life.


Christine on the left and Liz on the far right


Make New Friends


Make new friends,
but keep the old.
One is silver,
the other is gold.
A circle is round,
it has no end.
That's how long,
I will be your friend.

A fire burns bright, 
it warms the heart.
We've been friends,
from the very start.

You have one hand,
I have the other.
Put them together,
We have each other.

Silver is precious, 
Gold is too.
I am precious,
and so are you.

You help me, 
and I'll help you 
and together
we will see it through.

The sky is blue
The Earth is green
I can help
to keep it clean

Across the land
Across the sea
Friends forever
We will always be





7 comments:

Carol McGrath said...

This is delightful, Liz and I could not agree more. Have a really successful Book Launch too.

Unknown said...

Thanks Carol!
lx

Jan Brigden said...

What a lovely post, Christine/Liz. That little friendship poem brought a tear to my eye. Fully agree with everything said here. x x

Unknown said...

Thanks Jan!
lx

Creepy Query Girl said...

Ha! I remember that song! I also remember the 'scouts honor'- *three fingers in the air* on my honor, I will try... Words to live by!

Rebecca Leith said...

Another lovely post, thank you ladies. And don't you both look so cute :-)

Talli Roland said...

What a lovely post! Adorable photo.