Thursday, June 09, 2011

Filling The Well and Edits and Books

I haven't posted in ages...exam revision (DS1's  and DS2's) and general STUFF. However I have been to Cornwall which was glorious and it did refill my well so to speak. Below you'll see some photos I took on a walk with DS1...this walk was for my work on AUGUST ROCK (did I tell you that AR is book 2?). I also did some work on THE CORNISH HOUSE and a posted a little bit about that over on The Heroine Addicts blog here.

Also to replenish my inner resources I have been reading. First up was the biography of the writer Mary Wesley - WILD MARY by Patrick Marnham. WOW - she packed about ten lives into one.













Next up was GETTING AWAY WITH IT by Julie Cohen. Now Julie is a great friend so i suppose my view is biased but it is a fab book that deals with hard issues with such humour...her heroine is very kick ass too. I have always loved Julie's books but this one was a real step up in emotion, issues, and she made me cry (and blush too as I was reading one scene at the breakfast table when DS1 wandered in...I hasten to add I was blushing before his arrival!).










I am working my way through Stephen King's ON WRITING (enjoying it) and have just started reading the SOMNAMBULIST by Essie Fox and would be engrossed in it now but last night the edits arrived for TCH....a touch distracting....but I may just put the edits aside and enjoy the book for the rest of today....












I'll leave you with a glimpse of beauty...













13 comments:

Jenny Beattie said...

Oh my! Those photos are beautiful. I read the Mary Wesley biog a few years ago and loved it. I started reading all her books over again...

carola said...

I loved the photos. I was at Port Isaac some weeks ago and it reminded me. I , too, enjoyed all Mary Wesley's novels and must read the biography.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, thanks for the beauty! On this grey German day, it was salve to the soul.

I hope you enjoy On Writing. It's my go-to writing book. So brilliant.

Liz Harris said...

'On Writing' is a great reference books for writers.

Good luck with the edits!

Liz X

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Glorious photos and some of those scenes are very like Jersey.

I love all Julie's books too.

Good luck with the edits.

Unknown said...

Jenny - i haven't read her books and want to now!

Carola - the bio was amazing

Charlotte - glad they helped

Liz- I will need all the help I can get with the edits!

Debs - Julie's books are fabulous ans I thought this one was the best yet

lx

Minnie said...

Fellow fan of Mary Wesley, here - and, yes, the Patrick Marnham biography is fascinating. Such a strong woman. And so interesting, with those powers of observation, that gleefully caustic tongue and the passionate sympathy for the underdog. Loved the exchanges with Sister Wendy Bennett, too.
Enjoy your reading break!

Unknown said...

Minnie - yes, those exchanges with Sr Wendy were extraordinary...have now ordered Mary's books having only seen the tv adaptations.

lx

Minnie said...

Hello, Liz - aargh 'Bennett' indeed! Sr Wendy BeCKett ...

Hope you enjoy reading MW. I first read her when going through marital turbulence. Years later - more than a decade post-divorce! - I re-read some of her novels. They stood the test remarkably.

Unknown said...

Minnie :-) with my dyslexia I didn't notice! Have just ordered two of her books...must focus on edits but i think they will be perfect reading. It's good to know they stood the test of time.

lx

Flowerpot said...

I know that walk! And yes MW had an incredible life didn't she?

wannabe a writer said...

Liz,

How lucky you are to live in not one but two such glorious places.

I've downloaded On Writing to my new Kindle and would be interested to read your comments when you've finished it.

Linda

Unknown said...

Flowerpot - her life wouldn't be believed if you wrote it in a book...

Linda - I'm very lucky :-) Almost finished it an am loving it. i bought the book over a year ago but couldn't engage with it (my state of mind - not the book). I firmly believe with craft book that you find the ones you need at the right time...this is the right time for me on this one. So much of what he says rings true. Hope you enjoy it.

lx