Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Lords' Taveners' Dinner



One of the delights of expat life can be the balls and charity galas. On Friday night I was lucky enough to attend The Lords' Taverners' Dinner at the Westin. The ballroom was filled with glamourous and the rest of us mere mortals! Chris Tarrant was the mc of sorts and really got wound up during the auction. The surprise item was the final one - not listed on the programme. The bidding went like wild fire for the first dance of the evening with Darren Gough. Now, I haven't been following Strictly Come Dancing here in Dubai so was a little late understanding why a dance with a crickter went for 9000 Dirhams (memo to self - get to Julia Williams' book - Strictly Love on the TBR pile!). What I hadn't was missed though was that it was a wonderful gentleman buying it for his wife, who wasn't even in the room. The look of surprise of her face was magic!

The evening was also graced with an outrageous performance by Rory Bremmner. Some times I just love being a expat!

P.S. I never in my wildest dreams imagined that I would be pulling my mother's old fur from the closet to wear - but as pre-dinner champagne was on the terrace I was the only woman not freezing in their finery!

13 comments:

Jan Jones said...

Liz - you look FABULOUS!

(But I thought it was always hot in Dubai. I must also live in a bubble.)

Unknown said...

You look fabulous!!

Nell Dixon said...

You look gorgeous, love hearing about all the things you do.

HelenMWalters said...

That sounds brilliant, and you look most glam!

Jenny Beattie said...

Oooh, how exciting and you look really gorgeous. Is it cold at night there then? I wish it was here ... it's hot at night here too.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

What a fab evening, and you looked wonderful.

Marcie Steele said...

Sounds fantastic Liz and I love the jacket x

Unknown said...

Thank you all for the very kind words!

Right now the evening temp in Dubai drops to 10 C which with a bit of wind can be very chilly in evening wear :-) Day time though it is a glorious 22!

Flowerpot said...

you look utterly wonderful Liz. Good on yer!

Rick said...

What a fantastic photo of you, Liz! Small wonder we all entirely ignore Dubai to look at you.

Unknown said...

FP thanks!

Rick I'm blushing :-)

Naval thanks for dropping by...

Lane Mathias said...

Wowzer! Lovely photo!

Susie Vereker said...

Great coat and you look great in it. And you are recycling your mother's stuff! But am amazed it was cold enough to wear a fur in Dubai. Had no idea temp dropped as low as 10.