Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Recovery Time Required

Finally after much blood letting this rewrite of A Cornish House is done and dusted. I was beginning to think I would never get there. I hope that for all the pain it caused (which included my mother desperate desire to read the end before she left which was 4 am this morning) it is a stronger story. I do know without a doubt that it is more Maddie's story than Serena's - so even if it's crap I have at least proved to myself that I could re balance and intensify the story. For this I owe a debt of gratitude to the lovely Julie Cohen for reminding all things have been written before but it's what you bring to the story that makes it different and the Donald Maass's Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook.



Now I will not touch it until Monday - I promise. I need the distance to get perspective. However as I woke early this morning (Have been rising about five every morning to have peace and computer time) I was twitching. I think if I begin rereading on Monday that gives me a clear two weeks to play with it and then I can send it of to the RNA New Writers' Scheme as an unpolished but complete work. It was the best I could hope to achieve with the end of August deadline.



I have to say there is a part of me also that is itching to begin writing the book in my head which began brewing last summer at the RNA conference. However that must wait until September even thoughI have found the house that will be the basis for the setting......

13 comments:

Rachel Green said...

Well done indeed!

Flowerpot said...

Is that Godolphin Liz? It looks like it. Well done for all that hard work.

Kate.Kingsley said...

Well done Liz!

jessorella said...

CONGRATS!!! I am so proud of you :) And you definitely deserve a few days' rest.

The house looks great -- could very possibly be haunted, I imagine.

Steve Malley said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Phillipa said...

Well done on your rewrite and yes, why not start your new book as soon as you can. You deserve the luxury of that, after all your hard work.

Jan Jones said...

Oh, fabulous, Liz. So glad you're happy with it.

DOT said...

Well done, Liz! Keep those twitchy fingers under control.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Oh well done.

I love the pic of the house, it certainly conjures up many thoughts in my head, great inspiration, I can see why you chose it.

cs harris said...

Congratulations on the rewrite!

Jan said...

Liz, you must feel very proud of yourself.

Annie Wicking said...

Good luck and good luck with your next book..

best wishes
Annie

Unknown said...

Thanks one and all :-)

Flowerpot - it's not Godolphin but you may me think I should at that one again.......