Monday, May 19, 2008

Wise Words


So okay the revision has stalled due to life. Trying to put everything in place before I leave the DH and dd alone for a week while I am back in the UK with the boys. I am iching to work but life interferes. The highlight of the interferance this week is the Bon Jovi concert in the Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi. I can't tell you how excited I am and it has nothing to do with the fact that I fancy Jon Bovi like mad of course. The Dh is very tolerant of this crush of mine but was none to please when dd said she would rather have a poster of Bon Jovi on her walls than him. At eight she has broken his heart. This is compounded daily by her singing It's My Life at the top of her lungs because she getting ready for tomorrow night. Yes, she is going to her first concert!

Now onto wise words. During my lunch I stopped by the wonderful Kate Walker's blog where she has been answering questions. This particular question was by a writer who had been told her books are still too plot driven. There is an excellent answer but the wise words that hit me were:

"One final piece of advice is don't put in any 'event' unless you know why it happens/how it changes things and why it changes things."

As I am rewriting that is a good question to keep in mind me thinks. Thank you Kate. If you are writing romantic fiction and haven't checked out Kate's 12 Point Guide to Romance - do. It's a gold mine.

4 comments:

NoviceNovelist said...

Enjoy the concert Liz - what fun - I'm so jelous!!!!! It sounds like a glamorous venue as well - look forward to hearing how it went.

Kate.Kingsley said...

Ooooh, enjoy to the Bon Jovi gig, and do report back about it ~ spookily, and apropos of nothing at all, I found myself musing on the subject of JBJ on my way to work this morning. I have an inappropriate crushette on him too!

:-)

sheepish said...

I am sooo jealous as Bed of Roses is one of my all time favourites, it sends shivers down my spine. Hope they live up to your expectations, and the venue sounds pretty special.
We are going to see Deep Purple in the Mediaeval city of Carcassonne in July which should also be quite special just because of the venue.
You always find good links aswell, thanks.

Barrie said...

That is good advice. Thank you for sharing. Happy revising! (And Happy concert going and Happy UK!)