Sunday, April 06, 2008

Soundtrack of My Life Meme

Over on Jen's blog http://www.spiralskies.com/ she pinched from A. Writer the for the soundtrack of your life meme. I approached this with hesitation as my ipod holds all the family's music - 2 teen boys, 1 eight year old girl and of course dh (here read Shania Twain). I wouldn't know if I would even know the music that could be thrown up..........something by Linkin Park or White Stripes. We play a game in the car on long drives........throw the ipod on shuffle and everyone getss three rejects and three defends............it makes for an interesting journey. How do you like your Disney? With Emimen? With Russian Monks?

However the process hit a cord with me as two writers I know seriously work with music when they are writing - Julia Williamsand Elizabeth Chadwick.

So without further ado..........

If Your Life Were a Movie…What Would the Soundtrack Be??

So, here’s how it works:
1. Open your library (iTunes, Winamp, Media Player, iPod, etc)
2. Put it on shuffle
3. Press play
4. For every question, type the song that’s playing
5. When you go to a new question, press the next button
6. Don’t lie and try to pretend you’re cool…because you’re not!
7. Stick the soundtrack on your mp3 player and listen away during the day.

Here goes:

Opening Credits: I'm Gonna Laugh You Right Out of My Life - Natalie Cole

Waking Up: You're Beautiful – James Blunt (this made me laugh)

First Day at School: di Capua: i'Turin Vurrua Vara- Andrea Bocelli (Haven't a clue but it sounds beautiful)

Falling in Love: Sisters are Doing for Themselves - Eurythmics & Aretha Franklin (????)

Fight Song: Macarena - Los del Rio (now this is getting really bizarre)

Breaking Up: Missionary Man - Eurythmics (itunes was clearly having an Eurythmics fit)

Prom/Dance/Ball: De Curtio - No Ti Scorda Di Me - Three Tenors (?)

Life’s OK: Massenet - Three Tenors (must say it doesn't shuffle very well!)

Mental Breakdown: When Tomorrow Comes - Eurythmics again

Flashback: Buck's Nouvelle Jole blond - Buckwheat Zydeco (from sound track to the Big Easy in case you were wondering!)

Getting Back Together: Your Love is King - Will Young

Birth of Child: My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion

Wedding: O Come All Ye Faithful - Josh Grosban (now this is getting weird)
Final Battle: White Christmas - Frank Sinatra (clearly this film has its high points at Christmas!)

Funeral Song: CHeeseburger in Paradise - Jimmy Buffet (no comment)

End Credits: Seven Year - Norah Jones

10 comments:

Jen said...

Wouldn't it be a fun writing exercise to write a plot based on the songs that come up?

Yours would clearly be a comedy, based around a cultural Christmas!

And you've reminded me to listen to Norah Jones again so thanks!

Unknown said...

Jen, that is an excellant idea - may suggest it as a session for the RNA conference this summer if I may!

Jen said...

Yeah, go for it!

Jessica Raymond said...

Cheeseburger in Paradise?? Sounds like a good way to spend the afterlife :)

I'm going to do this too.

Unknown said...

Will do, Jen :-)

Look forward to reading yours Jess!

Annie Wicking said...

what would be my life in music...mmm Nights in White Satin
and the line... Never reaching the End....lol

Best wishes,
Annie

Jane Henry said...

Ha! That is brilliant, Liz. I'd try it but I don't have an ipod. Spiralskies, I am the aforementioned JW here, in slight disguise, and while I have never plotted a book as randomly as that, whatever I am listening to when the ideas of a new book are in the offing tends to worm it's way into the soundtrack of the current book. So for me it is pretty random...

On the current CDs in the car, three songs jumped out immediately - She's Got You High, by Mumm-Ra, Your Love Alone is not Enough, by the Manic Street Preachers, and Tired of Waiting of for Ray by the Hoosiers. The latter doesn't fit my plot AT ALL, but I am trying to work it in...
It is also a Christmassy book, so Liz, maybe I should pinch your ipod for a bit!!!
PS great idea for the conf btw...

Unknown said...

Annie - Nights in White Satin - now there could be a great title to a novel :-)

J. I'm glad you had a laugh......I have over 400 Christmas songs on the Pod!

Will speak to Jan - it might work as a Sunday evening activities instead of a quizz?????

Karen said...

Some good songs in there :o) The funeral one made me laugh. The Eurythmics were the first 'live' band I ever saw - they performed in my home town, Scarborough, many years ago!

Unknown said...

Never saw them live, Karen, pout associate them with asix week trip around S. France, italy and Greece when I was 20 and very foolish :-)