Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Good Stuff

Yesterday's post got lost in the craziness of the day and becoming Dubaified! There are headaches galore with transferring as much as i have done but there a treats as well. Somethings which in UK are so expensive than they are a once in a blue moon treat are a regular ritual here. So I am no longer cloven hoofed, dish-washer handed and I'm blond again. Unfortunately at present it's a bit too hot to top up the tan but that will come!

There is so much wonderful stuff out on the web right now that i want to bring to your attention to. First for a great laugh Lisa linked a great article in the Boston Phoenix by Steve Almond. Lisa was blogging about writing sex scenes and linked here. If you have ever struggled to write a sex scene or read a really appalling one this article will tickle your funny bone.

This leads me back to Julie Cohen's Tightening Your First Page discussion here as she writes fantastic sex scenes and occaisionally teaches workshops on writing them. Yesterday she spoke of getting internal conflict on the first page and another wonderful tip:

"Generally the best path is to start the story as late as you possibly can. Not just the first page--a rule of thumb for all scenes is to begin them as late as you can and end them as early as you can. Get in there, do what's necessary, and get the heck out. "

Finally have you all seen this article in The Book Standard. So how do you feel about Slush Pile's proposed approach and would you try it?

16 comments:

Lisa said...

Glad to hear you are settling in and I'm glad you thought Steve Almond's article was as funny as I did! Great links here - thanks!

Unknown said...

I laughed out loud at that article. Thanks for posting it:-)

Flowerpot said...

great links there Liz. Yes, I'm quite intrigued by the slush pile idea. What about you?

Unknown said...

Me too, but did you see Penny's comment on romna......

Rachel Green said...

Great link to Steve Almond :) I'm following Julie Cohen. Some good advice even tough I don't write romance.

I'm contemplating the slush pile just to get another of my books out there.

Unknown said...

Rachel, I think you're braver than I but I haven't given up on the idea either......I'm following Julie's thing and even though I don't write catagory most things are totally applicable elsewhere like today's point "As a writer, your job is to give the reader what she wants and needs."

Chris Stovell said...

Oh that was a great article. Thank you (Oh Glamorous One!).

Unknown said...

Bowing here Chris :-)

Jenny Beattie said...

Ooosh, I love that word, Liz: Dubaified. Lovely.

Jjx

Jenny Beattie said...

Just had to come back and say I've now read the sex scene article: hilarious. Absolutely brilliant.

Thanks for linking that (both of you)

JJx

Unknown said...

Yeah, JJ, i rather liked the sound of it and to be honest the look of it but I'm not quite sure I recognise the blond in the mirror!

The article was a great laugh and we were lucky lisa found it :-)

Jan said...

Coming back soon and looking forward to catching up Liz!

Lane Mathias said...

Great article:)) Thanks!

Re. the slush pile... I should imagine they'll be inundated. Hope they get enough readers...
x

Unknown said...

I think they will be inundates Lane but it might be worth a try.....

Hi Jan.

KeVin K. said...

Have my doubts about Slush Pile, but I'm still thinking about getting involved. (Which is a big step for me. I'm the guy who never shows his work to anyone except the editor to whom I want to sell it.)

Dubaified. Like it.

Unknown said...

Kevin, it gets your work out there but then again yours is.....might be worth a try.

Yes, dubaified..........