Saturday, April 28, 2007

Savoy 2

Well, still tired but now sitting here realizing I need to get out more!!! I met the wonderful fellow Novel Racer Bernardine Kennedy there. While chatting with her someone came up and introduced Bernardine to a striking blond woman in a fabulous dress. She said her name and I didn't catch it but smiled and spoke to her about her dress. It was from Biba and it wasn't expensive......the conversation went on. The drees was deep gold run through with metallic. it was fabulous but she had just the perfect figure to wear and the outfit was finished off to to die for brown high boots. She said if you couldn't dress up for the Romanic Novelist Lunch then when could you. How true.........

Now until an hour ago I had forgotten about this encounter. Then I received an email from the wonderful Bernardine talking about her Savoy experience. She spoke of how kind it was that her ex-editor introduced her to Amanda Ross (Amanda Ross) ........of the Richard and Judy book club fame........the most powerful women in publishing. I met her clueless and wittered on about her fabulous dress. I may never ever been lucky enough to meet her......lost opportunities???? Well, as I don't have a book in print probably not.



However if my fabulous Have You Seen Adam badge had arrived sooner I could have promoted that In Search of Adam (Thank you wonderful Caroline)............I have worm my badge proudly today looking for Adam at the plumbers merchant on Munster Road and to the Fulham Mitre for lunch.........

So hence the ghastly picture of a worn and tired me........... but proudly wearing my badge which I trying to keep away from my dd.

More on the Savoy later but had to share my utter dismay with my own lack of knowledge!!!

12 comments:

Bernardine Kennedy said...

Ooops. I thought you'd heard...
hey ho!

Unknown said...

The sad fact was even if I had heard I wouldn't have made the connection! Sad I know!!!!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have known either, Liz!

Sounds as if you had a fabbo time though... how did you manage to get invited to such a prestigious bash? I'm immensely jealous.

x

Unknown said...

Ah, Jen, I am lucky enough to be a member of the New Writers Scheme of the Romantic Novelist Association.....

Glad I'm not the only one who is so out of the loop on important things!!!

Jan said...

Out of the loop...
What loop?
Im still with hula hoops..

Jen said...

Ah, now I understand.

As for being out of the loop, hmmm... I spend my time going round in circles but am never quite in the loop. How does that happen, I wonder?!?!

Caroline said...

Yay! Yay!
Fab photo.
Yay!
x

Kate.Kingsley said...

Sound like a wondeful day ~ thnaks for sharing Liz.

And hey, you were very complimentary about Ms Ross's dress, so the good news is you've probably made a great impression and she'll certainly have made a positive connection to you.

I shall be bravely winging a profile to you in the next day or two ~ its a great idea, thanks for doing it,

Best wishes
Kate

Unknown said...

Thanks Kate........don't feel quite so stupid!

look forward to your profile:-)

Therese Fowler said...

Probably was better that you didn't know who you were meeting--

Thanks for linking the interview piece, though; with my book coming out in less than 60 days (!!) every bit that I can learn about the UK publishing/R&J world helps.

My publisher there (HarperCollins) has submitted SOUVENIR to the R&J program--I have no expectations, I'm just thrilled they're giving it a shot.

Glad to see you had a good time there. :)

Unknown said...

Maybe it was for the best but gosh i still feel stupid.

I look forward to the arrival of your book!

The UK publishing world is a bit different than the US from what I hear. The R&J book club is a quick way to the top as Oprah. Michael Allan's blog the Grumpy Old Bookman gives quite a bit of insight into it - well worth a regular read. Also good is http://meandmybigmouth.typepad.com/. I'll try and think of the others and maybe inbetween racers's profiles blog about it.

Therese Fowler said...

Thanks for the suggestions, Liz, I'll check 'em out!